.

Running log, Seville and Lisbon

Friday, 7:10" After only 5 hours of sleep I left to work, met up with my boss, then found out that he'd already left the meet up with me at my house. I had to kill an extra 10 minutes, but I still made it to the airport.

Friday, 7:30: I was the only person in line to check-in for my flight two hours early. Why in the U.S. do we have this guideline, yet international flights in other countries have no problem? It's inefficient. Anyway, I make it through the whole conversation in Arabic...until she asks me for my hand baggage. I don't know hand baggage. Almost had someone convinced I spoke Arabic.

Friday, 8:12: Just saw girl probably displaying her hair dye Henna. There are 2 types but usually the dark henna used on tourists is made up of nothing but hair dye. As long as they don't know the difference, it's an easy way to skim some money. But it makes someone look like an easy mark to to the locals.

Friday, 1:30 p.m. (Seville time): Airport ATMs are such rip-offs. To get out of Seville, you have to take a bus that costs €2.30. If you don't have euro, you have to find some. The ATM ripped me for an extra 10 percent commission. When I tried to cancel out, it gave it to me anyway.
I hate ATMs.

Friday, 3:30 p.m. A website said Starbucks in Spain had free internet. The website was wrong. But there's no time for that now. The cathedral is just around the corner.

Friday, 3:43 p.m. They say this is the largest church in the world and, having seen Saint Paul's in London I really can't argue. How big is exactly you say? Well, on one corner of it they have a Starbucks and on the other corner, they have another Starbucks. OK, maybe that's a bad example.

Friday, 4:07 p.m.: Smoothie time! Europe on a budget is tough. You have to pick and choose your spots. For example, this smoothie was lunch. €2.65. And I got to sit inside for 30 minutes. But I'm too restless to stay too long.


Friday, 4:11 p.m.: Still in the restaurant when the radio starts blaring, "Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play," Who knew 90's American music would still be haunting Spain in 2009? (And now it's in your head too.)

Friday, 4:27 p.m. The cathedral bell tower was converted from a mosque built in the 1200s. I've seen its duplicate in Marrakesh. Seeing this one now, it just doesn't look quite right, kinda like a new set of clothes on a person still badly in need of a diet.
Compare:

With this:

Friday, 5:15 p.m.: So I'm walking to Avenue Kansas City when I pass by this park with a statue. I really think this is something to do with Christopher Columbus largely because it says Christopher Colon on the very top, but I don't know what. Maybe if I sit here for a long time, I will figure it out.



Friday, 5:21 p.m. Time to get a little concerned about the Spanish work FAQ: All the pharmacies say "Open 12 hours"--What are people supposed to do the other 12 hours?

Friday 6:30 p.m.: Here, after a kid's meal, a Burger King double barbecue chesse burger, I stopped by the local ircuit City. Did you know to leave a bag in spain at one of the check-out places, you need to leave three Euro at the counter to make sure you return your lock?

Friday 7:10 p.m.: Kansas City is a sister city with Seville. I don't know what that means or how it started, but one of the main streets is Avenienda Kansas City. It made me feel a little bit like home. Better barbecue would have helped, though.

Friday 7:25 p.m.: It's a long walk back to the square. The bus station seems like a distant memory. My wit is gone, burned up along with my leg muscles. I have to start remembering to budget for transportation.

Friday 8:00 p.m. Crossed the river, found an un-touristy cafe for another cup of coffee--and a bathroom break. Things you don't plan for until you need them the most. Whew. It's kind of a slower Friday night, and I'm limited in what to do until my bus leaves. This place doesn't really come alive until after I'm gone.

Friday, 8:30 p.m.: Paying for my coffee was a little harder to do. I don't know how to say bill in Spanish, and I wanted to give a little bit of tip, because it's the only reason American aren't viewed as the worst people in the world right now, because we tip a little bit. All I had with the exact change or €5, I'm not paying 5 euros for a cup of coffee. I put the money on the table and start walking off, but the waitress ignores it. It takes her five minutes to pick up the plate, and only then can I leave. As an American ambassador, I apologize.


Friday, 9:45 p.m.: In Madrid, it seemed stores never closed. I was out past midnight and had no trouble finding a place to buy gum (no toothbrush that night). Here, it's not even 10 p.m. and I can't find a place to buy a bottle of water.

Friday, 9:58 p.m.: Found one. The line stretched to the back fo the store. Maybe some other store should get this idea.

12 a.m. The bus took off, only 30 minutes late. I'm wedged in a small corner. Not sure about sleep quality. It could be a long seven hours to Portugal.
.

1 comments:

Sra. Wilson said...

Yay Sevilla! I absolutly LOVE the Giralda (the tower attached to the Cathedral). Did you go inside? It is built with ramps instead of stairs so that horses could go up (and down) in the tower. The statue is a monument to Cristopher Columbus because he left Spain from Sevilla to find the west. He is also buried in the Cathedral (some argue he is buried in the Dominican Republic, but Spaniards usually vote for Sevilla!). One of the ways you can tell that KC and Sevilla are sister cities is that the architecture in the Plaza in KC is modeled off of Sevilla's architecture...the edge of the Cheesecake Factory is a miniature Giralda. Thanks for sharing your awesome pictures, Doug!