.

About that game...

So the live blog didn't quite happen. I didn't watch on my internet, and the game turned out to be pretty good. Couple of quick-hit thoughts.

*Santonio Holmes proved he's a baller. I didn't think of him as any more than a Dante Hall-esque third receiver. But, forced to step up in the absence of Hines Ward, he came through. He even shook off that dropped pass in the end zone to snag the game-winning touchdown.

*Can't ask more of Kurt Warner than what he gave tonight. 377 yards and three touchdowns should be enough to win most games. Well, maybe one pass more. If James Harrison doesn't pick off that pass at the end of the half, this game *might* go Arizona's way. Still, that performance should seal his Hall of Fame credentials. And he didn't look like someone ready to call it a career. Lots of life left in those legs.

*Ben Roethlisberger beat pressure time and time again tonight. It didn't matter what type of defense Arizona threw at the Steelers, he shrugged it off to find his receiver.

*Larry Fitzgerald showed up. It took him around a half, but when he showed up, he really showed up.

*Edgerin James has some life in those legs. And Darnell Dockett made a name for himself.

*Warner has played in three Super Bowls. In all three, he's led his team on a scoring drive in the final minutes to either take the lead or tie the game. In all three, the opposing team has had enough time to mount a scoring opportunity of its own. I don't know what it means, but it's an interesting detail. Warner's Super Bowl record is now 1-2.

*Oh, and the ads? Hated 'em. The Doritos crystal ball ad was the consensus favorite with my crew, followed by the Bud Light budget meeting. And I was impressed with the Star Trek trailer. Otherwise, one of the lamest efforts in years.
.

2 comments:

Sra. Wilson said...

It's great to see some of that solid Doug sportswriting again, even if half a world away! And I agree on the Doritos commercial being my favorite. Have a good day, bro!

Unknown said...

I just wanted to leave a comment on the 'new' blog, just read up on your other one and found out you have this one. I don't have any comments about the game, though I did watch the fourth quarter as I was sewing a pink stuffed bunny (that's about as anti-football as it gets i think!). I must admit, it was the first year I will remember the game over the commercials!